As Soon As Possible. ASAP. That’s when you want to be seen when you’re in distress, whether for toothache relief, an abscess, a broken tooth, or any number of dental disorders.
At the office of Scott A. Hudimac, DDS, we set aside appointment time for emergencies. Depending on your condition, we’ll get you in as soon as possible if you are in pain.
Dental Emergency? Call 724-537-5505
Dental emergencies with toothache include:
- Broken tooth or missing filling.
- Advanced tooth decay.
- Infected or abscessed tooth.
- Dry Socket (a painful condition after extraction).
- Need for a root canal.
What Can You Do Before Your Appointment?
Some simple and effective actions include
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Don’t apply aspirin to the area, as aspirin may damage your gums.
- Cap a lost filling with a piece of sugarless gum until you reach the dentist.
- Gently apply gauze to stop any bleeding.
- Apply a cold compress to the outside of your mouth to reduce swelling and pain.
- If your tooth has been knocked out, rinse it gently in cold water, call your dentist immediately and follow your dentist’s instructions. The best chance of successfully saving the tooth is to be seen within 1 hour.
- For pain, take an over-the-counter pain reliever such as Tylenol or Advil. Do not exceed recommended doses!
- Never use a pin or sharp object to remove items caught between your teeth
- Swab the sensitive area with clove oil (available at your local drug store).